Download: Engine X 4.62 - 39 MB
Source: (Download Source)
I've been working on this engine quite a while off and on (since 2007) and lately I've switched focus to it.
1. FitzQuake protocol capability to play even the big maps.
2. Using DarkPlaces texture renaming convention for everything. Doesn't even support _luma naming of textures, but rather _glow.
3. Alternate HUD styles (in progress, cl_hudstyle 2 works but is incomplete). Try show_speed 1 and cl_hudstyle 2 to see the movement speed indicator.
4. DirectX 8 build via MH's Direct3D 8.1 Wrapper
5. Reads all pak files in engine folder.
6. Only supports TGA replacement textures by intent.
7. Does not use replacement textures for custom maps.
1. Video mode switching.
3. Chasecam fix.
4. Rotating brush model support.
5. NAT fix and all traditional ProQuake enhancements like ping in scoreboard, record a demo at any time.
6. Most features traditionally supported by JoeQuake (demo rewind, AVI capture, etc.)
7. Some Qrack sbar stuff, mostly the scoreboard.
8. Ability to turn on and off dinput
9. Ability to copy console to the clipboard (copy command).
1. Mod installer and play screen.
2. Storage of "global" preferences separately to prevent video restart or mouse setting changes when gamedir'ed.
3. HTTP server browser
4. Fixes for outstanding bugs
5. Coloring of dead bodies.
6. Kurok support.
7. Some extra entity browsing capabilities.
8. Some surprising stuff I'm gonna keep to myself for now.
1. Half-Life Map support (full including alpha texture support).
2. Enable web download capability
3. Mac OS X build
4. Eliminate historical inability to run as -dedicated that remains in some OpenGL engines
I thought I'd share this here as I develop this engine further. I will probably write up a couple of tutorials as this progresses.
From a purity standpoint, this engine is evile. In a way, I agree with the philosophy that engines should not have Quake stuff hardcoded nor should it require replacement media or special paks.