FAQ  •  Register  •  Login

What are you working on?

Moderator: Inside3D Admins

<<

revelator

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:09 am

Re: What are you working on?

In my case its the handle that differs somewhat for demofiles, instead of a FILE *pointer my engine uses a
typedef int filehandle_t; and its no easy task overriding the set size in some of the demo functions allthough i created a lot of wrappers that emulate the old functions a few pieces are missing.
Productivity is a state of mind.
<<

taniwha

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 am

Ah, I created QFile (typedef struct QFile_s QFile) which wraps both FILE * and gzFile, and then wrote replacements for all(?) the f* functions. That part was quite invasive, but I hated the mess of fread/fwrte vs fprintf etc (the file parameter bouncing from end to end), so it was a boon anyway.
Leave others their otherness.
http://quakeforge.net/
<<

Spike

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:07 am

fte's filesystem uses member function (pointers), so it can do paks within paks within pk3s...

which actually turned out to be semi-useful for android, if you want to embed a pak within the apk file (which is also a zip).
but yeah, seeking is a £$%^& in any solid archive, so I'd recommend to not use compression on those embedded paks (within them is fine, just not in the apk).
demo playback had to be mucked about with in order for mvd-over-tcp support (aka: qtv). However, fte implements simultaneous file access within a single pak using seek operations rather than opening two files and also has only a single decompression stream per zip, so switching between reading from two separate compressed files is still not to be recommended.
I did wonder about allowing fopen("http://foo")... but I suspect doing so would be pointless and silly. besides, my filename checker would complain about the : and the //...
<<

Supa

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 am

A video primer on the merits of sentry guns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGomNa0e-a0

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
<<

Seven

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:01 am

Hello Dr.Shadowborg,
Yes, the source code is included. I always include it (maybe some other people want to look into my messy code...)
The file size is because of the big amount of skins for the models. They have 8 skins each. It contains external replacement textures, which boosts the filesize up. :|

Hello taniwha,
The pk3 support is not needed. I only tend to scrape all the necessary files together into one file, to keep the overview a bit cleaner.
But you can simply extract the pk3 into subfolders and everything is good (as you know). And/or create a pak file from those.
The spider-addon is meant to be an addon to the "small mod compilation" (which is a Darkplaces mod). So you need some files from that mod (I wrote about it in the readme).
This decision was made a while ago, because originally I wanted to include it into the "small mod compilation". But things changed...

Anyhow, the code for the spider itself can be used in any mod or engine.
Most important is the file "spider.qc" of course. As well as some AI entries in the original qc files (which are a bit harder to find due to all of the other entries of the "small mod compilation").
If you want I can extract only the spider-neccessary files/code.

Best regards,
Seven
<<

Barnes

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Light filters

<<

Dr. Shadowborg

Inside3D Staff

Post Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:43 pm

Seven wrote:Anyhow, the code for the spider itself can be used in any mod or engine.
Most important is the file "spider.qc" of course. As well as some AI entries in the original qc files (which are a bit harder to find due to all of the other entries of the "small mod compilation").
If you want I can extract only the spider-neccessary files/code.

If you could do it that would be VERY helpful, I'm on dialup and thus 60mb is gonna take a while to download. It would also be helpful to modders who want to include the spider into their mods. (actually, that would include myself. He looks like he would fit right into hellsmash... :wink: )
<<

qbism

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 am

Barnes wrote:Light filters

SVN 297 engine and shaders generated errors. light world program and light model program "function return is not matching type".
I was able to compile and run previous build 295 without errors. Maybe latest glsl shaders are not on SVN?
I'll give more info if needed.
<<

Barnes

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:00 am

Strangely, all in SVN .... Oh yes, try to delete the folder baseq2/glslbin (cache binary shader) and you can use cubemap filters from berserker@q2, I use it temporarily for testing
<<

qbism

Post Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:41 pm

I didn't have that folder, but I'll try adding Bers shaders. Also will do a rebuild from scratch when I get back to dev computer.
<<

Dr. Shadowborg

Inside3D Staff

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am

Had some time today, so I put together a quick prototype skin for the revised Icon model and tried it ingame:

http://br0gspot.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/icon_ingame.jpg

Still need to add some fingers / thumb skin details for the hand part, and replace the textures for the spike balls / handle. (tried using the rotate flag from taniwha's blender export script, works like a charm)
<<

Barnes

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:21 am

qbism wrote:I didn't have that folder, but I'll try adding Bers shaders. Also will do a rebuild from scratch when I get back to dev computer.

Mmmm... post console log please
<<

mankrip

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:43 am

leileilol wrote:http://leileilol.mancubus.net/crap/imnotsure.png

It doesn't load.
Thinking with slipgates.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Makaqu engine blog / website.
<<

leileilol

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:09 am

because server backups restored before the point i uploaded all those cool engoo images :(
i should not be here
<<

hogsy

Post Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:08 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion